Monday, March 30, 2009

how I get through my day (part 1)

Sometimes it's not enough to think that you're a good person and that, more often than not, you make the right choice.

I've felt this feeling before.

One time, one of the keenest times, was when I won honorable mention for poetry in the University of Rochester's Dean's Prizes. Honorable mention, not too shabby, right? Well, the winners were all of the other people in Advanced Creative Writing Poetry. So really, in that group, I was the loser.

But I went to their reading... to support... because that's who I am. And when the Campus Times photographer came to take their picture, the professor said, "Hey Nick, why don't you come up for the picture to, you know, because you're here.." and I wanted that big Monty Python foot to come down from above and squish me where I sat.

What gets me through moments like that?

A Small Victory by Faith No More (specifically this lyric)
The small victories
The cankers and medallions
The little nothings
They keep me thinking
That someday
I might beat you
But I'll just keep my mouth shut

(It shouldn't bother me, but it does)

No comments: